Bertolt Brecht: The Learner (Der Lernende)

.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/Budir_Church_Iceland.jpg/1024px-Budir_Church_Iceland.jpg

Church near Búðir (Snæfellsnes), Iceland
: photo by Till Niermann, 2 August 1989




First I built on sand, then I built on rock.
When the rock caved in
I no longer built on anything.
Then I often built again
On sand and rock, as it came, but
I had learned.

Those to whom I had entrusted the letter
Threw it away. But those I paid no attention to
Brought it back to me.
Thereby I learned.

What I ordered was not carried out.
When I arrived I saw
It was wrong. The right thing
Had been done.
From that I learned.

The scars are painful
Now it is cold.
But I often said: only the grave
Will have nothing more to teach me.





http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/2007_December_frost_in_Sweden.jpg/1024px-2007_December_frost_in_Sweden.jpg

December frost in Sweden: photo by Sigurdas, 21 December 2007

Bertolt Brecht: Der Lernende (c. 1935), translated by Lee Baxendall, from Bertolt Brecht: Poems 1913-1956 (1976)

No comments:

Post a Comment