Robert Herrick: In the West (His Lachrimae or Mirth, turn'd to mourning)


.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/GGB_reflection_in_raindrops.jpg

Golden Gate Bridge refracted in rain drops acting as lenses: photo by Mila Zinkova, 2007




1.

.....Call me no more, 
.....As heretofore,
The musick of a Feast;
.....Since now (alas)
.....The mirth, that was
In me, is dead or ceast.

2.


.....Before I went
.....To banishment
Into the loathed West;
.....I co'd rehearse
.....A Lyrick verse,
And speak it with the best.

3.


.....But time (Ai me)
.....Has laid, I see,
My Organ fast asleep;
.....And turn'd my voice
.....Into the noise
Of those that sit and weep. 
 



File:2005-12-25 Magnifying drop.jpg

Magnifying and light collecting effect of a drop of oil on a glass plate held a short distance above a text: photo by Roger McLassus, 2005


Robert Herrick: His Lachrimae or Mirth, turn'd to mourning, from Hesperides, 1648

No comments:

Post a Comment