Frank O'Hara: Cantata ("loyal tawny and apt")


.


Orange cat (Kimmy): photo by Nancy K, 4 August 2012



How could I be so foolish as to not believe
that my great orange cat Boris (Armed with Madness)
Butts loves me when he rises to the door like a dog
each night when I come home from work and
probably isn't even particularly hungry
...............................................or lays
his conspicuous hairs on my darkest clothes
out of pure longing for my smell which they do have
because he looks like my best friend my constant lover
hopelessly loyal tawny and apt and whom I hopelessly love



 
Frank O'Hara (27 March 1926-25 July 1966): Cantata, 18 February 1965, from Collected Poems, edited by Donald Allen, 1971

"He began to change, beautifying himself, scrupulously and elaborately as a cat."

"Birth and ruin and exile, and a name not like green hills, but a wild, snow-crested tree. He would take Boris away. He would go back into Russia with Boris."

-- Mary Butts: from Armed with Madness, 1928




File:Cat blending in.jpg

Tabby cat blending in with its surroundings
: photo by Clavecin, 18 May 2007



Kip the cat: photo by historique (K M), 1 July 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment